Rules and constitution
RULES AND CONSTITUTION
1. The Society shall be called THE NORFOLK YOUTH MUSIC THEATRE (Hereafter known as the Society).
2. The Object of the Society is to give young people an opportunity to perform new music-dramas (with educational value) and to participate in every aspect of running a theatre company and in doing so to educate the public in the dramatic and operatic arts to further the development of public appreciation and taste in the said arts (to assist and further such charitable institutions and charitable institutions as the Governing Body shall from time to time determine); and in furtherance of this object but not otherwise the Society through it’s management body shall have the following powers:-
- To promote plays, drama, comedies, operas, operettas, and other dramatic works of an educational value.
b. To purchase acquire and obtain interests in the copyright of or the right to perform or show any such dramatic or operatic works.
c. To purchase or otherwise acquire furniture, machinery, fixtures and fittings, scenery, costumes and other necessary effects.
d. To raise funds and invite and receive contributions from any person or persons whatsoever by way of subscription, donation, and otherwise, provided that the Society shall not undertake any permanent trading activities in raising funds.
e. To do all such things as shall further the objects of the Society.
3. a. The Society shall consist of acting and non-acting members.
b. The society is an unincorporated, “Not-for-profit organisation” that does not make private profit for directors, members or shareholders and is managed by a Team of volunteers.
4. The Society shall be managed by a Management Team consisting of the Officers – The Artistic Director, Assistant Director, Musical Director, Assistant Musical Director, the Treasurer.
ELIGIBILITY FOR MEMBERSHIP
5. Membership shall be open to all those having sympathy with the objects of the Society and desiring actively to further it and pay the subscriptions prescribed by the Rules.
APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP
6. Applications for Acting and Non-acting membership shall be made in writing, signed by the applicant who shall submit to an audition with the Artistic Director or the Management Team for its decision. Entrance is by competitive audition and preference will not be given to those members who have taken part in past productions.
CAPABILITIES OF CANDIDATES FOR MEMBERSHIP
7. Prior to admission all candidates for Acting membership shall satisfy the Artistic Director and other Directing staff as to their histrionic and/or performing ability.
REVISION OF CAST
8. The Artistic Director shall have the power to revise the cast from time to time, if any acting member to whom a character has been assigned shall in his opinion prove unsuitable for the part.
OBLIGATIONS OF ACTING MEMBERS
9. Acting members shall to the best of their ability play the parts assigned to them, whether principal or chorus and obey the directions given at all rehearsals and performances. Acting members absenting themselves from rehearsals may at the discretion of the Artistic Director, be deemed to have resigned their parts in the work then in rehearsal. They are to be responsible for and take care of any costumes, props or any article provided for them by the Society and must be responsible for the full cost of replacing any damaged or missing items. All members must conduct themselves in a manner that will nor endanger the work of the society or the well being of its members.
EXPULSION OF MEMBERS
10. a. Any member of the Society who in the opinion of the Governing Body shall be guilty by actions of misusing the privileges of the Society or of otherwise bringing the Society into contempt or disrepute may be suspended from the society.
- Management Team may by a majority vote remove from the list of members the name of any Acting Member who has persistently neglected the work of the Society and the name of any member whose conduct they consider likely to endanger the work of the Society.
11. The subscription for each production shall be £60 payable by Acting members.
PAYMENT OF SUBSCRIPTIONS
12. Subscriptions for each production shall become due upon commencement of rehearsals and paid to the Treasurer not later than one month after the commencement of rehearsals.
13. a. The funds of the Society shall be applied solely to the stated objects of the Society.
b. No member of the Society shall receive payment directly or indirectly for services to the Society or for other than legitimate expenses incurred in the work.
14. The financial year for the Society shall commence on 1st January and an annual profit and loss account and balance sheets shall be prepared within two calendar months after 1st January each year.
15. Members wishing to resign will not be eligible for a return of the show subscription.
NON-PAYMENT OF SUBSCRIPTIONS
16. The Management Team shall have the power to suspend any member whose subscription remains unpaid one month after rehearsals commence.
17. All moneys due from Members in conjunction of any work produced by the Society, shall be accounted for and paid to the Treasurer within 21 days after the conclusion of the final performance.
RECOVERY OF MONEY DUE TO THE SOCIETY
18. All moneys owed to the Society including entrance fees and subscriptions owed by Members shall be recoverable at law in the name of the Society..
THE ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
21. The Artistic Director will be responsible for all productions. The Artistic Director will be held personally responsible for any losses to the company and these losses will not be passed on to the other members of the Management Team.
APPOINTMENT OF THE MANAGEMENT TEAM
20. The appointment of Officers of the Management Team will be initially by the Artistic Director
MEETINGS OF THE MANAGEMENT TEAM
21. The meetings of the Management Team shall be called in consultation with the Artistic Director and the members of the Management Team and shall be held at least once a year.
QUORUM AT A MEETING
22. No business other than the formal adjournment of the meeting shall be transacted at any meeting unless a quorum be present and such a quorum shall consist of four Officers present.
MANAGEMENT TEAM ‘S POWERS
23. The Management Team shall have the power to decide any questions arising out of these Rules and in all other matters connected with the Society other than the decision over the selection of works which will be selected by the Artistic Director to be produced from time to time by the Society.
SELECTION OF CAST
24. The cast for any production shall be selected by the production staff. The Artistic Director shall have the casting vote in the event of a disagreement.
DISSOLUTION OF THE SOCIETY
25. The Society shall only be dissolved by resolution passed by a unanimous vote of the Management Team voting at a special meeting called for the purpose of considering such dissolution. In the event of dissolution any balance of cash in hand after the realisation of assets and payment of debts shall not be distributed among the Society but shall be applied for such charitable purposes similar to those of the Society or be paid distributed or transferred to such charitable institutions having objects similar to the objects of the Society as the Management Team shall determine.